Home Forums General Discussion Forum Acrylic clock plates

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    steve fornelius
    Participant

I thought the ability to see inside a clock would be helpful to clients and I decided to explore the process to replace the brass plates with acrylic.

arutha
      Participant

That is a great idea, I think I would do another using a very dirty and worn movement so the customers can see the possible problems with their clock, make some of the pivot holes oval etc.
        Paul.

steve fornelius
        Participant

The first one I did was a Smith’s movement – broken mainspring in a barrel (left the cap off so you can see inside), and an escape wheel pivot that was put in off center so the wheel goes up and down. I like the idea of the worn pivot hole. I might put in an oversize bushing to simulate wear.

willofiam

Perfect ;) I too had the same thoughts, just have not gotten to it yet. For clients I have certain loose items to show and let them handle that explain different problems (a dirty sticky mainspring, a plate with a worn pivot hole and a new one with a bushing, pallets with grooves, bent wheel, rough and smooth pivots, ect..ect..) and having a movement in a run stand on display also works well as a learning, explaining tool. Thank you for sharing what you have accomplished, I think it is great and I will be adding something similar, I think what I will end up doing is having a running example with the clear plates :D William

Bob Tascione

Welcome to the forum Steve!
              Beautiful job and great idea.
              I can see where it would come in handy for helping customers understand what’s going on inside their clocks.
              That would actually be a cool wall clock the way it is with hands!
              Thanks for posting it.

Bob

ewinrow
              Participant

Really nice job and a good 💡 . If I were a customer of yours, that would convince me along with possible problem identifications. I have often wondered why no-one ever made a high temp high impact block for automobiles or stainless steel bodies and frames for cars/trucks? :D If people pay millions for Bentley’s and other high dollar vehicles, would one not be willing to pay thousands for an almost lifetime less expensive vehicle :?: Anyway, Uncle Sam would probably buy the patent rights, (CHEEP!!!) and use them exclusively for their use only. Ahhhh, 6 in one hand and half a dozen in the other. So who wins :?: Surly not the consumer :| Any who, keep posting so we all can enjoy, Ed. 8-)

ALL BE ADVISED: This was not posted in negativity or political reasons towards anyone’s Ideas/ inventions or patents nor or Government….. AIRBORNE!!!!! Ed. 8-)

bernie weishapl
                Participant

That is a great idea and well done.

steve fornelius
                  Participant

You all have identified the reasons I wanted to do this. To show off the innards of the clock, to show what problems look like, to have a wall mounted clock, similar to the Howard Miller lucite clocks. I like those clocks, but the movements are certainly not showpieces because they’re just off the shelf, unpolished movements. I have several customers with these – with rods, 5 tube and 9 tube – and the only problem I can see is making a nice dial because I’d have to farm out the work. The dials are something like 18 or 20 inches. Just another project to do after I get done with my sprocket and chain clock.

Re: stainless steel car bodies – my Reserve time included several trips to the Philippines. They make some jeepneys out of stainless tread plate and leave them high polished. Interesting looking but not a fun to see as the Chevrolet engine driving an overhead belt system for their machine tools making copies of M-16s.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.