Home Forums General Discussion Forum About that Staking Set…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    maitai11
    Participant

Hi Fellas,

Yeah, so, my Hamilton 992b Railway Special has a bad balance staff. Both pivots are broken. I ordered a new one and it’s coming in later this week.

I have the roller remover (thanks, Chris,) but I do not have hairspring removal tools…you know, the two small levers that have a ‘v’ cut into the middle, and are curved up so as to put upward pressure on the collet?

Can I make those easily, or would purchasing them be better?

I have already viewed part of a vid done by “Bunnspecial” on YouTube, and it looks as though he has a good technique for it. This will be my first friction fit staff replacement!

Thanks Guys,

Tim

bernie weishapl
      Participant

You can do either or Tim. I bought mine as I am to busy in the shop to be making a whole lot of tools. Just my $1.298.

maitai11
        Participant

Thanks Bernie :)

gerene
          Participant

@maitai11 wrote:

Hi Fellas,

I have the roller remover (thanks, Chris,) but I do not have hairspring removal tools…you know, the two small levers that have a ‘v’ cut into the middle, and are curved up so as to put upward pressure on the collet?

Can I make those easily, or would purchasing them be better?

Tim

You can make the tool Bob describes in his staffing video. I made it, it is not that difficult to do and works really well.

Jan

maitai11
            Participant

Thanks Jan!

I’ll be diving into that part of the course over the next couple days…and thanks for the reminder!

Best,

Tim

chris mabbott
              Participant

All the previous suggestions are good advice, just try a method to see what suits you best. I made a couple of brass HS lifters, took about an hour and most of that was filing. It’s not hard to make a set yourself, or you can purchase the Bergeon $85 set which are too thick to fit under the collet :?

maitai11
                Participant

Nice Chris!!!

How about those expensive tools that don’t work!

Chris, can I trouble you for a few measurements? That would be very helpful.

Thanks,

Tim :)

chris mabbott
                  Participant

I posted a thread on the forum showing one of them, it’s on here somewhere I think.

I just made it the same diameter as an 18s HS collet, the flat end has to be thin enough to wedge underneath, between collet and arm.. But without bending. I forget the grade of brass rod I used but it was the hardest type they had..
                    If you look at the ones they sell, it’s the same design.

maitai11
                    Participant

Thanks Chris, much obliged :)

Tim :)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.