Home Forums General Discussion Forum A pocket watch I was given to practice on

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    clockman1509
    Participant

Good evening all, I have not fished my workshop yet , more photo’s will be put on the forum soon. I have not yet started stripping clocks or watches yet as I am watching Bobs video’s every day to give me the knowledge before I tackle them. I have 3 clocks, and five pocket watches. I have made my mind up to swap between the two , ie if I am getting stuck on a clock instead of walking away to do nothing I will take a short rest and then work on a pocket watch until I need a break . then I will go back to my clock. I have been given 5 watches by an old repairer who has retired . One I found interesting because of its looks, I know it is not an expensive watch, but that does not matter . I just like the look of it. It has a moon faze so I imagine it will be a challenge to work on. The balance spring works for a few seconds then stops. when I wind it up I wind it about six times and then there is a click. On removing the back, I found the movement set into a plastic surround. I can’t see how to remove this movement from this surround or how to release the winder. I will post photo’s , maybe some kind horologist can advise me. There is no makers mark but its a pretty little watch that offers me a challenge. By the way I would like to get it fixed just to put it on a stand in my workshop as my first achievement. Your advise would be appreciated.
      Regards
      Alan.

clockman1509
      Participant

One further photo that I hope helps.
        regards
        Alan

arutha
        Participant

Hi Alan,
          On some watches that dont have an obvious screw to release the winding stem, you just pull it all the way out. Dont do that just yet, wait and see if anyone else has some advice. That plastic ring has been used as what you have essentialy is a wrist watch movement in a pocket watch case.
          Good luck :)
          Paul.

david pierce
          Participant

Clockman,
            With the back off, at the top of the movement 2mm to the right of the stem is a small black dot. Press the dot in with a small pin @1mm in diameter or a small drill bit shank placed backwards into a pin vice. Press in the dot and pull the stem out.
            david

arutha
            Participant

Well spotted David :)

harold g
              Participant

Hi Alan,that is exactly what I’m doing.Everyday you seem to learn a little something and get a little better and more confident.

arutha
                Participant

Harold and Alan,
                  the best way to find out what tools you need is by doing the work. People will suggest all sorts of tools and you can end up with a lot of stuff that is not so important just by thinking you might need it. Do the job on the clock or watch and you will soon learn what you cant do without and what gets left at the back of the workshop. It doesnt need to be bought all in one go and some of the tools are not difficult to make yourself. Try not to get too bogged down with the tooling, repair the clocks and watches and enjoy it. :)
                  Paul.

willofiam

hey guys, I second the motion, you can spend alot of time and money trying to figure tooling out, Paul has hit it on the head, he is the expert on tools, William

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.