Home Forums General Discussion Forum A Brotherhood…A Brotherhood? Hmmmmm…

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    randy
    Participant

Cool..it
      ll be good to hear from you !

R

tmac1956
      Participant

miatia11:

I don’t work on watches as a profession; however, if I were going into business at this point in history I would probably take the three Time Zone Courses. If you haven’t looked into these, here’s the link to their FAQ pages:

http://people.timezone.com/mdisher/WatchSchool/tzwsfaq.htm

I think they also work in conjunction with the Otto Frei Company that provides tools for their courses. However, David Pierce who has taken all three of these courses, told me that you don’t necessarily have to buy them from Otto Frei, so you can obviously save a lot of money getting them elsewhere. As has been discussed previously, the small scale of many modern mechanicals often requires different tools from those used on the big chunky pocket watches that we all start with.

One example of a special tool to facilitate the removal of balance staffs in these tiny tin-foil thick balance wheel arms is the Burgeon Platax Tool. I can never afford one of these when they come up on eBay from time-to-time and I’m not sure if they are manufactured anymore. Here’s a link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFcJ8p3hDfE

Additionally, sometimes Uncle Larry carries those tiny Swiss staking sets for a good price. However, they don’t come up often either.

Thanks,
        Tom

maitai11
        Participant

Thank you Tom!

Very, very cool information, and I thank you for your good input, without any kind of negative feedback. I’ve always appreciated your particular positive input on the topic of horology, and the various options available to watchmakers, and watchmakers-in-training.

Again, thank you.

Best,

Tim :)

tmac1956
          Participant

miatia11:

I got one of those small watch staking sets for Christmas (thanks to David Pierce… and all I got him was a stinkin’ book.) Anyway, I’ve cleaned it up and I have a very small watch that needs a pivot replacement. When I get it done, I’ll post the results. Anyway, for scale I photographed it next to my K & D Inverto. I would say that it’s seldom, if ever, been used.

Later,
            Tom

gerene
            Participant

That looks like a nice little set! I wish I had a friend like David ;)

its time
              Participant

Tim
                I do not know why some people just shut down when someone needs a hand. I am just getting started in the repair scene and one day hope to be good at what I do. That is if I have enough years to master it. From what I read many mistakes was made and I will not point fingers at anyone. Sometimes we just give up too early, but Tim try not to let little things like this harden your spirit, you are much better person than that. And who knows the next one you get may be the one that you can say I bet that was the problem with the last one. We never stop learning and there is more than one way to skin a cat. Just be stronger than the problem because it is just a material thing and you are not the first one to run into a wall.
                Good luck my friend and happy tick-tick (music to our ears)
                Nelson Collar

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.