Home Forums General Discussion Forum 8mm Lathe Set up Help

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    jnachman
    Participant

Hi all

Have purchased a basic 8mm Lathe with some collets.

I have also purchased a sewing machine motor and some “plastic type fuseable” belting.

i have fitted the motor down to a board on which the lathe is on and made a lathe belt.

Problems:

The plastic pulley is not pulling on the belt and it burning through it. im assuming i need to make the belt more tighter? – the pulley is a very small plastic one.

I have purchased a brass slightly larger version that should work abit better.

My questions is that as space is a issue is there a certain way how you decide how long a lathe belt should be as the motor and lathe are quite close?

Many thanks in advance

Jonathan

david pierce
      Participant

John,
        A standard Borel lathe base puts the motor about 6″ from the lathe. I am not aware of any distance that is too short or too long for a motor to lathe distance. Make sure the spindle of the lathe is turning freely by rotating it with your finger. If the spindle is binding or sticking, you will need to address that before going any further. It would probably be a good idea to disassamble the spindle in the lathe headstock and clean and relubricate it. If you need some help with this procedure post back and I will help step you through the process. The lathe belts that I prefer to use are 3/16″ diameter O-Ring gaskets that I buy from an industrial supply house called MSC. They are inexpensive and work better than any watchmaker lathe belting I ever used. I install these by taking the lathe spindle apart, dropping the belts in and putting it back together.
        david

jnachman
        Participant

Thanks for the reply

I got a pulley and made the belting tighter … success.!

Thanks

Jonathan

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.