Home Forums General Discussion Forum 400 day suspension spring

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    vanhooglesnort
    Participant

I have a nice Kern anniversary clock that came to me with a destroyed (twisted many times) suspension spring. In the Horolovar guide the back plate matches a spring unit configuration that is too long to fit in the clock; it actually sits in the locking cup and can’t turn. The book calls for 11b, but 11a (which says it is for clocks without a locking mechanism) fits. Is it possible the book is wrong or do I have a Frankenclock on my hands?

Any help would be great. Thanks!

willofiam

Howdy vanhooglesnort . It always amazes me when things like this happen, I have repaired over 75 clocks and just 3 days ago got in the 1st 400 day clock for repair, (my second total) I have been digging thru the horlovar book for 2 days now just gathering information and then you post this 😯 !!!! Excellent book though, isnt it, tons of good info and I think a must for repairing these clocks. Anyway, the only thing i would ask (mostly because I miss the obvious more often than not 🙄 ), is, when you made the new suspension unit did you make sure it is exactly the same when stretched out over the template? also is the pendulum attached properly? William

vanhooglesnort
        Participant

Yes, when I built it up it fit the template exactly. It is either the wrong one or some other parts of the clock are not original because it’s almost 1/4″ too long. The twisted spring that was in the clock is the wrong thickness also…maybe Frankenclock is the best theory?

willofiam

yes it does sound like that, and I don’t have enough experience to say whether or not a shorter version, like 11A would keep proper time even with adjustments, worth a try I suppose…..you haven’t wasted a suspension spring yet as 11A is shorter. have fun :D and hopefully someone else out there has more insight, William

arutha
            Participant

I have only repaired a few of these clocks but I would imagine your guess is correct and its been put together from parts. If you can get the spring to roughly the correct length and then try and run the clock you should soon be able to tell if the spring thickness is correct. If I remember correctly, if the spring is too thick the clock will run a little on the slow side, and vice versa if the spring is too thin. The lever position which connects to the anchor is one of the most critical things, just check you dont have “flutter” when the clock is running. Good luck with this one and please let us know how it goes.
              Paul :)

arutha
              Participant

I have been corrected, the thicker the spring the faster the swing, sorry for the mistake :(
                Hope you get this sorted.

vanhooglesnort
                Participant

A guy on the NAWCC forum told me he’s found inconsistencies in the book before, and that ANY deviation from the back plate ( different stamp, etc. ) might mean there’s a difference. I used the setup that fit properly and the clock seems to be running correctly. It’s my first 400-day repair, so I’ll watch it for a few days before I declare success.

arutha
                  Participant

Good luck, I am sure we will all keep our fingers crossed for you :)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.