Home Forums General Discussion Forum 400 day suspension spring tool

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    bernie weishapl
    Participant

Wondering if anyone has used either of these jigs for 400 day suspension spring assembly? The blue one is made I think in England and the other here in the States. Problem with the one made here in the States both of the guys that made it have passed away and Ronell’s doesn’t have any. I may have to break down and make one as my old hands aren’t as steady as they used to be. Putting that hair fine spring in that extremely small crack in the upper and lower blocks is getting harder and harder. Love working on 400 day clocks but I hate when I slip and kink the spring. Kinked springs are no good even if you straighten them IMHO. Anyway am I the only one that works on these clocks and if not what do you use? Thanks.

arutha
      Participant

Bernie,
        http://www.m-p.co.uk/muk/parts/chap02/anniversary-clock-suspension-jig-1302000115.htm
        http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUSPENSION-ASSEMBLY-JIG-400-Day-Anniversary-Torsion-Jahresuhr-Dome-Clock-Tool-/260860118928
        http://www.timetips.org/page79.html
        This is the one my friend Pat uses, it looks similar or the same as the jig in your last picture. I still do it by hand and it is a pain but I dont get enough 400 day clocks come through to warrant buying this tool just yet. The ones I have done I have just marked out on a piece of paper before taking them apart to put the new spring in.
        Paul

bernie weishapl
        Participant

Paul that looks to be the same thing except a older one. So how does Pat like it and does it work. I hate those tools you spend $40, $50, or more dollars on and turn out not to work as advertised. I have a couple of ideas in my head that I may try to build. A couple of guys have the first on I have shown and love it but like I said the guys making them just passed away. Anyway was just curious if anyone had some different or if they had used these. It seems that this year I have been getting a couple a month plus I have about 15 to 18 I have bought at flea markets, garage sales, auctions, etc that I need to get running. Some have been sitting there 20 yrs. 😆 But I think the most money I spent on any of them was $12. My thoughts were that a $200 investment would maybe get me back over a $2000. Oh to be young and dumb again. 😆

arutha
          Participant

I did the same Bernie, I bought a whole load of them before I knew what was good and what wasn’t. I ended up selling them in one lot to my friend Pat. They are a dream to service as they hardly ever show wear on the pivots or holes but what a pain to set up, especially if you cant track down what thickness the spring should be. As far as I know Pat gets on fine with his tool but then from what I can see, there is no alternative to that jig in this country?
            Paul.

Bob Tascione

Hi Bernie,
              Sorry I’m so late on responding to this. I’ was away from home for awhile and missed your post.
              Probably too late since I see you already made a cool tool out of wood that you posted in another thread but….I’ll comment on the M&B Fixture anyway just in case someone in the future is interested.
              I probably haven’t used it for a decade now (got the tool back in 1999) but yes the tool did work well. It’s used in conjunction with the Horolovar book and makes the spring set up job a breeze as compared to doing it without the tool.

Here are a couple of pics.

bernie weishapl
              Participant

That is the one I was looking to buy Bob. I talked with Roland at Ronell clocks and he said that both of the guys that made those have both passed away. He said he had one left and was going to see if he could find someplace to have them produced. So since I couldn’t find one decided to build one.

namonllor1953
                Participant

Guys,
                  I would be more than willing to make those units if I could get a set of plans or measurements.

Bob Tascione

Hi Ren,
                    I had thought of doing the same a while back and then noticed ‘Patent Pending’ on the tool. When I delved a bit deeper I discovered that M&B Fixtures Inc. is still a licensed corp. and that the tool is still available from some suppliers like http://www.mountvernonclockcompany.com/servlet/the-120/M%26B-400-day-suspension/Detail .
                    Not sure if the Patent ever went through but didn’t want to step on any toes. :)
                    Bob

bernie weishapl
                    Participant

Wonder if they bought the rights to it? Roland at Ronell Clocks told me that both of the gentleman had passed away. He said he was going to see if he could get some made at one of their overseas factories. That’s what made me wonder if he bought the rights or what is going on.

willofiam

Hey guys. are the pointy rods going thru the tool for lining it all up with the book sketches? William

Bob Tascione

are the pointy rods going thru the tool for lining it all up with the book sketches?

Yes exactly William. You set the distances by matching it up with the diagram and then set up the components to match. Really quick and easy.
                          Bob

bernie weishapl
                          Participant

Yes the one I saw go thru. Those are the guides to line up the blocks and fork.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.