Home Forums General Discussion Forum 400 Day Clock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    arutha
    Participant

I have just finished servicing my first 400 day clock. The click had become bent and was allowing the barrel to spin, also the suspension spring was badly twisted. All sorted, click straightened out, new suspension spring put it (first time!) and its running smoothly and keeping good time. The only issue with the clock is when setting the time, the anchor flutters. It does not do this while running, only when I move the hands. Any ideas?

Bob Tascione

Good morning Arutha,
        Congratulations!!
        Yes fluttering when setting the hands is normal when the pendulum rotation is about mid-point. If it’s fluttering during it’s entire rotation then you may need to “raise” the fork a little bit. Raising the fork will eliminate fluttering. These clocks will sometimes flutter when running and isn’t always noticeable. If a 400 day is running fast and you can’t figure out why then fluttering should be suspect. Again, raising the fork on the spring will eliminate it.
        Hope this helps Arutha,
        Bob

arutha
        Participant

Yes fluttering when setting the hands is normal when the pendulum rotation is about mid-point.

That is exactly what is happening. I could jump for joy :)
          On an earlier post about a Gilbert I asked if anyone knew how to remove the varnish from the fake red marble panels. It has gone yellow and bubbly so needs to be stripped off. Would you know what to do with this Bob?
          Thanks again for your help and hope I am not asking too many questions and hogging your board :)

Bob Tascione

No way Arutha! The more questions and topics the better! Please keep them coming.
            I just posted a comment about the Gilbert finish on your original post at viewtopic.php?f=2&t=277
            Cheers,
            Bob

arutha
            Participant

Thanks Bob :)

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.