Home Forums General Discussion Forum 400 Day Clock

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    bernie weishapl
    Participant

Well today I finished up the last of 4 anniversary clocks I started yesterday. They have all been cleaned, repaired, new suspension springs made, and oiled. They all have really nice asymmetrical overswing and are in beat. I timed them out with the microset to about a 1 or so. So will fine tune them in the next few days. I know they are not exciting to some folks but to me they are a marvel and once understood are really pretty simple. Anyway have 5 more that I finished last week so leaves me with about 7 more to go. Anyway going to look pretty nice all running on the shelf.

namonllor1953
      Participant

Actually Bernie,

I find these clocks to be absolutely beautiful. The fact that the pendulum(?) revolves CW and CCW, rather than swing left to right, I find very, very interesting. There is another type of clock where the motion revolves CW and CCW; not sure what it’s called but, it is also spring driven and moves CW and CCW. I’m looking forward to someday getting into the repair of 400 Day Clocks. I’ll probably be purchasing the “400-Day Clock Repair Guide Book” 10th edition some time after January. I’ve got to recover from Christmas and Ansel’s birthday. 😆

On a seperate note. You did a beautiful job on those clocks.
        Congratulations.

bernie weishapl
        Participant

Thanks Ren. You will enjoy these once you get them down. The biggest key is to get the asymmetrical arc right. You will need a acoustical unit to listen for the tooth to drop on the pallet. Once you have the the swing where it is a 1/2″ past after the tooth is dropped and it is equal on both side (cw/ccw) it will be in beat and will run like a champ. That is the key if you understand what I am saying. My next venture is going to be a old disc pendulum 400 day. Those are fun.

namonllor1953
          Participant

Hi Bernie,
            Yes, I understand your explanation perfectly.
            I went looking for that other clock I was refering to and it’s on Clayton Boyer’s webpage on wooden geared clocks. It’s called the Wee Willie.
            Here’s the link to the clock:

http://www.lisaboyer.com/Claytonsite/weewilliepage1.htm

I had never seen a 400 disk pendulum…I just found two on Youtube. Does that disc suspend on a round wire?? That’s pretty cool!!

bernie weishapl
            Participant

That is a pretty cool clock and I have one similar to it. I will try and post a picture. As for the disc pendulum, yes the disc is suspended with the flat suspension wire and rotates back and forth. Pretty cool clock but they can get pricey. I saw one at auction go for over $2000 but it was in like new condition. A lot of them can be had from $200 to $800.

arutha
              Participant

I have a disc pendulum 400 day clock in the workshop at the moment, no power getting through to the escape wheel which is unusual for one of these, they dont tend to suffer too badly with pivot wear. We shall see!
                Paul.

bernie weishapl
                Participant

Be interested in what you find.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.