Home Forums General Discussion Forum 1872-1874 18 Elgin Key Wind Watch

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    wingman
    Participant

It looks as though someone abused the watch. The staff is not correctly positioned in the balance wheel. It is canted to a bit of an angle. Also it doesn’t appear to be completely seated on the staff. Any suggestions as to the best way to remove the staff since it is below the height of the wheel? It might not even be staked. The hairspring came off very easily hopefully someone hasn’t mashed some miscellaneous parts together here.

If anyone knows where to get one. I’m also looking for a key wind ratchet wheel .2835 in. across, measured top of the tooth to top of the opposite tooth.

Steve

Bob Tascione

Hi Steve,
        I wasn’t able to view your pics as they were too large and the scroll bars wouldn’t move the entire picture into view in my browser. I downloaded and re-sized them which seems to have worked well. You’re right…it does look like the staff isn’t inserted all the way into the balance hole. You can most likely tap it right out on your staking set without doing any harm to the balance.
        For the click wheel you might give Daves watch parts a try at http://www.daveswatchparts.com . If he doesn’t have the part he may have an old scrap movement that you can purchase for parts. I’ll also check tonight to see if I have something down here that will work. if I do it could be a while before I can get it up to the U.S. to ship it to you. I’ll email you to let you know what I find out.
        Hope this helps Steve,
        Bob

wingman
        Participant

Thanks Bob I didn’t know how to re-size the photos. I have sent an email to Dave.

Do you think the balance wheel is correct for this model of watch? It looks different than the other older Elgin watches.

Steve

Bob Tascione

Hi Steve,
            No problem on the pics. I just re-sized them real quick in photoshop.
            As for your question about the mono-metalic balance being correct for some Elgin watches the answer is yes. I’m not sure about your particular watch but Elgin did use a balance like the one in the picture you posted. I took and posted a pic below (hairspring trashed) of one on an Elgin Inter-Ocean s/n 494313.
            Hope this helps Steve,
            Bob

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.