Home Forums General Discussion Forum Lucien Piccard vs Jorg Gray. Reply To: Lucien Piccard vs Jorg Gray.

david pierce
Participant

Is there such a thing as a “best watch”? I know that there are a bunch of Swiss Watch Companies that have incredible ad campaigns designed to make customers think that their watch is the “best” watch. The problem is a $30.00 Casio Wave Ceptor is accurate to about 1/4 of a second per month and a $40,000.00 Rolex chronometer is only accurate to about 1 minute a month (if that), so how does one judge “the best watch”? Every two to three years the Rolex needs to be sent to a certified service center to be cleaned and adjusted at a cost of about $1500.00. The Casio requires a $5.00 battery in about the same time period and I have had mine for almost 10 years with no problems. A good bit of the cost of an expensive watch is due to the fact that a room full of technicians spend their entire working lives black polishing internal watch parts. This makes the parts look pretty but actually does nothing to improve the way a watch works. I guess the question could also be, who makes the prettiest watch or which watch has the best looking dial?
    I like your question because it makes one stop and think about what a customer is actually paying for when they buy a watch.
    Nice Post,
    david