Home Forums General Discussion Forum Eyes Reply To: Eyes

tmac1956
Participant

Bernie:

I wish you the best with that. However, a word of caution… I lost a retina from simple cateract surgery about four years ago – thus I am functionally blind in what was my dominant right eye. It’s not just losing the vision, but now I have virtually no depth perception because of it. How am I doing working with tiny watch parts? The best I can I suppose.

I also have a cataract in my left eye. However, there is a way to protect yourself from having a retinal detactment and I can assure you that I will do it BEFORE I let anyone work on my remaining eye. They can laser your retina down a few weeks before you have this done – that will prevent it from comming loose. If only someone had told me about this before the surgery, I would have had it done – even if I had to pay for it out of pocket.

Sorry for the horror story but I always tell everyone that I know who is considering this procedure that its not risk free. The doctors usually don’t put much emphasis on the risks because the percentage of retinal detachments is pretty low. Unless of course it happens to you – then the risk is 100%.

Anyway – you will be in my prayers…

God Bless.
    Tom