Home Forums General Discussion Forum Grandfather clocks. Reply To: Grandfather clocks.

mahlon
Participant

Ewinrow, Good question. The problem is there is no right answer. I have found that buying grandfather clocks for resale can be a little risky. To resale them, you first have to find some one that wants or has the floor space for it. Then it has to be the right color, style and size. I am not familiar with some of the name that you listed, but I do know that a lot of them use Hermle movements in them. They have different names on them, and are marked made in Germany, but they are made for them by Hermle. Most of those movements can still be purchased through Butterworth clocks. It is usually cheaper to replace them, then to repair them. I purchased a 7′ tall grandfather clock a year ago, for $100.00, in running condition. It’s a very nice looking clock, with a Klieninger triple chime movement, but I seem to be the only one who likes it. In this purchase, I broke one of our golden rules. Never purchase some thing you would not put in your own home. That way if it does not sale, you can use it. My wife likes the Westminster chime, but hates the early American color. I have found that the younger generation, has very little interest in a clock that does not have digital read out. Most don’t know how to tell time on a numerical dial. :( Most of my clock work comes from people who have inherited grandparents clocks, and can remember them from they’re childhood. Bottom line, if you can buy one cheap enough, and would put it in your own home, I would go for it. If all else fails you have parts for a customers clock :) Mahlon