Home Forums General Discussion Forum When we get discouraged Reply To: When we get discouraged

Bob Tascione

I’m glad you guys liked the video! Wang Jianhai is an inspiration to me too at times when I question my abilities or drive to do or complete a ‘tasking’ task. He had to learn or develop different ways to do the same job that I would normally just take for granted.

It looks like the video touched each of us in different ways.

Probably not fair that I ask for comments without giving mine too. So here goes….

I believe there WAS a Watchmaker with a handicap but it wasn’t Wang Jianhai. Wang Jianhai believed in himself so for him there probably never was a handicap. Wangs friend is the true master for me because as David pointed out he knew that there were many different ways to do the same task. In my mind he’s a hero in this story since he opened the mind of the Master Watchmaker and the door to Wangs watchmaking life. Without his friends insight Wangs possibly one and only opportunity could have vanished.

It seems our ‘handicaps’ are just beliefs we’ve developed through life long conditioning. We believe that things have to be done a certain way and then ask others to believe and live by the same rules. We not only limit our own creativity but the creativity of those around us. By telling others there’s only one way is no different than saying it ‘Can’t’ be done unless it’s done my way. Creativity and ‘Can’t’ never seem to co-exist well together. The master watchmaker didn’t believe it was possible, Wang obviously knew he had physical limitations if he pursued traditional techniques but I think he believed he could create new techniques that would compliment his strengths which could work as well if not better than the norm and his friend just believed in possibilities that an open mind can always bring.

This is a ‘don’t get set in your ways’ video for me that I watch frequently to keep me in line. I tend to watch it when I become unappreciative for what I have or judgmental and critical of others for not conforming to ‘my’ beliefs or living up (or down) to my standards.

My New Year Wish is that we all continue to keep our ears, eyes, hearts and minds open to each others ideas, thoughts and feelings and that this coming year is just as educational and fun as 2013.

Happy New Year and Thanks everyone!!!
    Bob