Home Forums General Discussion Forum “The Herschede project” our new old family clock Reply To: “The Herschede project” our new old family clock

arutha
Participant

William,
    what a great job! I know I have not commented much but as you know I have been busy. You have done a wonderful job my friend :)
    There are a couple of questions that were raised that I thought I would try and answer, the first from David asking about grease on larger arbors, there has always been a rule in clockmaking, if it slides, grease it, if it rotates, oil it. With arbors I would imagine through the constant turning and pressure it would eventually push the grease out of the plate holes. Steel ball bearings have been used in project clocks I have been reading about in the BHI journals, it seems when they are first installed they run beautifully but some people are having trouble finding a suitable lubricant to keep them running smoothly for extended periods.The new ceramic bearings, on the other hand, seem to be doing much better. You obviously would not want to fit roller bearings into an antique as it would lose most if not all of its value but if you were building a clock as a project- anything goes as long as it is fit for purpose :)
    Paul.