Home Forums General Discussion Forum Winding up an automatic watch. Reply To: Winding up an automatic watch.

Bob Tascione

Hi Ed and WELCOME TO THE FORUM!
    Happy to hear you like the course and congratulations on servicing your first watch.
    I’ve always heard that All automatics have some type of overwind protection but I’m not too sure that’s true. They may have protection when auto winding but not convinced all have overwind protection when manually wound. I may be wrong but I think I heard somewhere, sometime in the past that some Poljot automatics can be manually wound until tight. Why they would ever be that way I don’t know so I’ll have to research that and get back with you.
    Overwind protection is usually achieved through controlled slippage between mainspring and barrel wall. Most automatic barrels have vertical ridges that catch a ‘bridle’ on the end of the mainspring. When a certain amount of tension is applied to the spring through winding, the spring is permitted to ‘slip’ past the ridge that is holding it in place and is caught by another ridge after losing a little power. Using and applying the correct amount and type of grease to the mainspring and barrel wall is crucial. A grease referred to as ‘Braking Grease’ like ‘Glissalube 20’ is used on the barrel wall and another thick oil or grease such as Mobius 8217 is used on the spring coils and barrel floor. It’s important not to get either of these greases in the wrong place! That is Glissalube on the wall ONLY!

When you cleaned the watch did you remove the mainspring from the barrel? If the spring and barrel are as I described then you have overwind protection.

I’ll check a bit tonight to see if I can dig up some info on your movement.

Hope this helps for now Ed and again a big welcome to you!

Bob