Home Forums General Discussion Forum South Bend Project Reply To: South Bend Project

chris mabbott
Participant

Anyway, not to be disheartened, on further inspection there are three teeth in mesh with the mating gear, so although not perfect, it will suffice for now until I can find a replacement part, I don’t need yet another “pending” thing in my growing pile..

Down to the heart of the matter and the ever increasing stench of rotten eggs :mrgreen: The only thing I can think of is that someone has used an organic type lube that has gone rotten?? Maybe whale oil?

I also see signs of damage to the arbor pivot hole as the small spacer bushing is worn Hmm, where are those bits of metal?
    Look at those nice dirty wheels/gears begging me to bring out their best side.

I know that in watch terminology that the correct denominator is “wheel” BUT my background is industrial maintenance and frankly, I have a very hard time calling these gears, wheels. Wheels do not have teeth and are not part of a gear train. After all, if these were wheels, they would simply turn and nothing would happen 😆