Home Forums General Discussion Forum Single Point Threading Reply To: Single Point Threading

david pierce
Participant

Tom,
    Long time, no see. Yes it would. Mine has a 9″ swing and weighs about 250 pounds. As you can see going to a 10″ swing increases the weight to about 450 pounds. Considering this it would probably be a good idea to get the metal stand as well. I made a bench for mine out of 4 x 4s for the legs, 2 x 4s, for the cross bracing and two sheets of 3/4 inch plywood glued and screwed together for the top. This would probably not be stable enough for a 450+ pound machine. One nice aspect of a lathe like this is with the large MT spindle hole you can use large ER collets. I owned both a 6″ and 12″ ATLAS back in the early 1970s and was not happy with either one and sold them. The Central Machinery style lathes have a much better bed design than the ATLAS lathes had. If you get one of these, get the largest size you can deal with. The bigger they are the more stability they have but the 10″ will work out very nicely. Mine works fine but the size I really wanted was a 15″ swing. With a home shop this was not feasible due to the weight and power requirements.
    david