Reply To: New to the forums

Home Forums General Discussion Forum New to the forums Reply To: New to the forums

jimk4131
Participant
  • Topics Started: 1
  • Total Posts: 6

@digitaltripper wrote:

Welcome to the forums JimK !! One of the BEST investments I’ve made thus far is a lathe. I think the first best investment would be Bob’s courses which took ALLOT of mystery out of clock and watch repair and lathe work!! Again welcome to the forums!!!

Jim B
Cedar Ridge CA.

I agree that Bob’s course is by far the best investment.I have had the DVDs for 4 years now and have done a few watches but am ready to start making some real money with this.What I have been doing is basically buy a watch,usually running,but not always,then I do a complete restoration of the watch,including replating the case if necessary.Then I put it up on eBay and sell it.I have done very well and have always made a very good profit,but never really made it into doing it full time.I run a t-shirt screen printing shop,and that only takes about 30-60 minutes per day and is fairly good money.But I figured that if I did the watches full time I would do very well.I make on average of $75-$400 per watch,depending on what it is.I have a bunch that I am doing for a friend for basically cost of parts,because these watches are his retirement fund.I do have a couple of clocks that I want to do,but have never really messed with them yet.It’s funny you just mention pocket watches or old clocks and there will be someone who says “I have an old ____,and I was thinking of getting it fixed.” I have been told that there is no money in this,but I have been doing quite well at it.I wish I had taken photos of the watches that I have done,they all turned out beautiful,and took alot less time than one might think by looking at them.But like I said,I want to try out a lathe to make balance staffs etc. on it.It would just be so much easier to do it myself and not have to search around and sometimes come up emptyhanded.

jimk4131Reply To: New to the forums