Home Forums Hints, Tips and Tricks Engine Degreaser and Tea for Cleaning. Reply To: Engine Degreaser and Tea for Cleaning.

pkamargo
Participant

Well, it doesn’t matter if the work is done by tannic acid or whatever other chemical compound. The fact is that it works – but it is not an absolute miracle.

I just tested it. I am now servicing a french chime clock and one part had the arbor and pinion reasonably rusty. So I made some tea and soaked this part in it after it was degreased and cleaned the best possible.

When I picked the part out of the tea its arbor was absolutely black like coal. 😯

I rubbed it with a paper towel and the black coating went off almost completely. The steel under it was still dark, with some blue tone. I could not rub the pinion leaves with the towel so I went to the motor and polishing brush. After some work the arbor and pinion got clear and clean – not absolutely free of stains but undoubtedly much better than the initial condition, before the tea bath.

Concluding, the tea didn’t remove all the rust, but made a lot easier to remove it. Maybe soaking for longer time? Maybe using the tea in the ultrasonic cleaner??? Future tests…

(Sorry I didn’t take pictures to ilustrate, maybe next time….)