Home Forums General Discussion Forum Am i going crazy, possibly Reply To: Am i going crazy, possibly

arutha
Participant

You have a great day too, its great talking to someone in a similar position to myself. I hurt my back a few years ago and now cant do any sort of physical labour, I have tried various different things but Horology is just fantastic. To take something old and broken and get it running again is a fantastic feeling and if in time I can scrape a living from it I will be the happiest man on the planet. Horology is a very funny thing, you can meet people along the way, like Bob, who is so willing to offer advice and then you get the people who wont share anything and just look down their nose at you. I am in the UK and am doing the BHI distance learning course, I have had so much trouble trying to get any hands on training, I offered to work for free and the only guy who took me up on the offer lived 80 miles away, so every wednesday I would travel the 160 mile round trip just to spend a morning with him learning. Yet not a single member in my home branch was willing to spend time. I would say my branch has in the region of 50 to 60 members. I hear all the time about how Horology is a dying art and every month in the BHI journal there are obituaries, the loss of so much valuble information and hardly any of them wish to pass it on. I find it a very sad situation and have even spoken to the BHI about it but they say they have tried to work on this situation in the past but nobody wanted to spare any time. 😥
    Sorry, rant over, what I want to say is if at anytime I can help please dont be affraid to ask. I have been at it for Three years now but I still have a long way to go. Even if you feel its a silly question. I have asked plenty :)
    All the best,
    Paul.