Home Forums General Discussion Forum older Dutch Wall Clock that Dings Reply To: older Dutch Wall Clock that Dings

rpbell
Participant

@willofiam wrote:

…I thought I had heard of a type of clock that would strike 5 min before the top of the hour, then strike the hour also, could be I am having bad dreams though (my wife say I talk in my sleep about clocks)… William

Now this is really weird, Here I am, an acknowledged “newbie,” who wouldn’t know an escapement wheel from a second hand, but I remember my grandfather (Bradford Tennessee, d. 1963) had (if I remember correctly) a wall clock in the front room that struck once at 5 minutes before the top of each hour, and then struck once on the hour (just one bong, no matter what the time, even at night). I always thought that’s what it was supposed to do. He had another clock on a table in the corner of another room, so I may have clocks confused.

This has got me wondering, with whom in my family and where on Earth have those clocks landed? Haven’t thought of them in at least 40-45 years.

rpb
    San Bernardino