Home Forums General Discussion Forum Seth Thomas chime clock Reply To: Seth Thomas chime clock

bernie weishapl
Participant

One other thing is do NOT clean the floating balance in a Ultrasonic cleaner. I generally clean mine in One Dip cleaner that is used for watch hairsprings. William is dead on in his advice. One other thing make sure that you let the mainsprings down before disassembly. I would run the clocks chime and strike side by moving the hands. I would watch every movement it makes on both sides as the middle is just your time. The right side is the chime for the 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and hour chime. On the hour after the chime it will strike the hour. Watch as it goes thru it paces even if you have to move it by hand so you can see how each lever works, how each chime and strike cams work. The hands set off the chime and on the hour the chime cam trips the strike. So take pictures and study it. William uses 859 oil and I use Moebius on good clocks. So any good oil will work. Believe it or not on old antique clocks for the last 15 yrs I have been using Mobil 1 full synthetic 0w-5w auto oil. Anyway play with it and have fun.