Home Forums General Discussion Forum When we get discouraged Reply To: When we get discouraged

arutha
Participant

I think one of the biggest things lacking these days is patience. Because we live in an “instant” world most people seem to think if they cant do something at their first attempt then they can never do it. I had that very experience when learning to cut a balance staff, I would get so frustrated after getting so far through it and then doing something to ruin it, anger can sometimes take over and stop you thinking clearly about what has just happened. Its easy to just sit back and say “Well I screwed that up, maybe i shan’t bother again” or you could say “I have just been practicing my turning, my skill in this is improving and I am getting closer. William stated in a recent post it took him a few attempts to make that screw he showed us. the magic words – “a few attempts”. If something needs to be learnt, especially if it is a complex procedure, then you can guarantee it will take at least “a few attempts”.
    When things are getting you down walk away – take a break – do something else, come back to the problem refreshed and if you get to the same point of frustration then walk away again. I do this on a regular basis and it helps and is one of the most valuable tips I can ever give.
    I bet the guy in the video had his fair share of “a few attempts” but guess what, he is doing it.
    Keep at it guys, dont ever let it get you down, remember this is supposed to be fun and when it stops being fun, walk away and take a break.
    Happy new year to you all :)
    Thanks for posting the video Bob, certainly got a message across to me :)