Home Forums General Discussion Forum “The Herschede project” our new old family clock Reply To: “The Herschede project” our new old family clock

willofiam

Thanks guys, Randy, I would like to video it for you, have to decide where and how as I am not that smart.

Bernie, thank you for letting me know that. that is the whole idea of being involved on the forum. it helps me learn and hopefully will help someone else out too. do you have any specific idea you would like to hash over?

Chris. for the winding arbors (great wheels) I used keystone medium, it is a high pressure non creeping mainspring oil. On most clocks I will put a bit on the great wheel arbors first, then add a bit after assemble. I think it helps “get it where it needs to be” better by doing it this way. On most clocks I do this very thing with the great wheels.There are some grandfather clocks that originally used a graphite grease for the great wheels, you can tell by the left over pile of graphite after the grease has dried up. from there up the train I oil pivots after assembly, reason being that there is more of a chance of getting it all over the place if oiling each pivot first. Up the train I used the Novastar type H clock oil, type R for smaller escapements and small clocks (what oil to use is a great debate and I do not want to get into that right now) grease or oil can be used on the sliding surfaces of lifting levers and such. I do not oil the levers pivot points. After assembly I inspect and manipulate the trains by hand to ensure everything is proper. Set it up and start the test run, initially I hook up the clock timing machine to get the beat set and beats per hour, this clock has 3600 beats per hour. regulating is done by the thumb screw at the bottom of the pendulum on this cloak and in alot of clocks, others will be adjusted by the length of the suspension spring. when I get it pretty close I put the dial and hands on and let if go, adjusting each day until it is keeping proper time. you can regulate this way if you do not have a timing machine.

Chris, I know you like the pocket watch (me too), there are some small clocks that have escapements that are very similar, also old car clocks (do you have cars over there?) , carriage clocks ect…ect….I think Paul has been involved with carriage clocks, maybe we could talk him into a thread on his next job…..refurbishing one can be as satisfying as a pocket watch, some even have the movements visible thru the case and make for a pleasing piece.

Have a great day everyone, William