Home Forums General Discussion Forum “The Herschede project” our new old family clock Reply To: “The Herschede project” our new old family clock

willofiam

Hey Mahlon, when the wools wax dries is it noticeable? I have alot of “crackling” (the actual term escapes me) finish and I am thinking about all the cracks and crevices, also we thought we would leave the crackling effect of the original finish at this point but I am not sure I like that as it looks blotchy (some smoother areas). It may very well be something we address in the future but not sure. What is the process of evening out the old finish called? amalgamation? Would you believe I was cleaning the toilet one fine day and noticed the smell was similar to hydrochloric acid, low and behold I found that it was in the stuff we use here at home. I am not sure if that is o.k. or not. The pendulum bob and the weight shells needed more than just cleaning as they had some ugly dings and scratches, that is why the big operation. thank you for the input Mahlon, have a fantastic day, William