Home Forums General Discussion Forum “The Herschede project” our new old family clock Reply To: “The Herschede project” our new old family clock

willofiam

here are some after cleaning and polishing pictures. Taken all apart I used hagerty all metal polish and goddards brass and copper polish on the nickle? and brass rods, I found the hagerty paste to be a bit stronger for a initial cleaning, there was so much gunk it took a few times to get it cleaned, other parts were buffed with a buffing wheel using Tripoli brown rouge (not sure if thats how it is spelled?) with the possible lacquer or shellac? taken off I re-lacquered using a spray can of metal lacquer, I wont advise on the product but I tested several different kinds and found the stuff I used to be the toughest and adhered the best. There are so many different kinds out there I would only advise experimenting for yourself. I used a small file in the slots on the screws then lightly (so as not to damage the threads) chucked them up in the watchmakers lathe and filed off the large burrs and touched them off with a fine grit emery paper. Alot of tedious work, I then chucked them up in a pin-vise to polish the heads with the buffing wheel also using the Tripoli brown rouge (the pin vise kept them from taking flight and from burning my fingers if you know what I mean). William