Home Forums General Discussion Forum “The Herschede project” our new old family clock Reply To: “The Herschede project” our new old family clock

willofiam

Thanks guys, here is the problem with the pendulum bob and why it was tied on with string, The piece in the middle had broke, this attaches to the bob support that runs thru the bob, then to the center steel rod in the grid iron, now from what I understand this is not a true grid iron but like most pendulums the design is made to resemble the “Harrison” or “grid iron pendulum” with the alternating brass and steel rods. With my limited skills I fashioned a new piece, I did not want to use a real hard steel as I was a bit concerned with it possibly breaking, my thinking was to have the ability to bend before breaking, I used a mild steel, heated it cherry red, quenched, then heated to a straw/brownish color and quenched, seemed a bit harder as I could tell with a file test. please let me know if I was wrong. so the new piece is silver soldered into the slot as it appeared to be when it was originally made. notice how dirty it all is and rusty the screws and steel is on this pendulum. have a great day, William