Home Forums General Discussion Forum Rookie Reply To: Rookie

randy
Participant

Welcome to the forum, and a great group of folks who will help you in any way we can.
    I used a small Ultrasonic for the first few years,..along with L&R solutions, and got pretty good results.
    I just stepped up to a bit larger one, with a heater, and it made a pretty substantial difference.
    But you’ll do fine with the smaller ones.

Loupes are very personal.
    I have an aplanatic loupe, and it’s nice to use,..especially if you are going to spend many hours at the bench.
    Mine gets intermittent use though, as I’m far sighted,..so once I take it off, I’m blind.
    I settled on an Ary Loupe, so that I could wear “readers”in a strength that allowed me to see everything on my bench easily, and then I can just swing the lens down as I need it. I bought the additional eyepiece insert for more power.
    Everything else in the way of tools are pretty much what you can afford/ what works.
    I like to spend hours combing Ebay looking for old watch tools,…..you can do well there if you invest the time.
    I like steel tweezers for some work,..but prefer to use brass as much as possible, to decrease the possibility of scratching anything in or on a movement.

Take care,..write often…we’re here to share and help,

Best

Randy