Home Forums General Discussion Forum L & R Mastermatic Cleaning Machine Lens Cover Reply To: L & R Mastermatic Cleaning Machine Lens Cover

arutha
Participant

Its amazing what you can find that is sold as one thing and is expensive and is then sold for another application and it is only a quater of the price. Gritter cob is a classic example, you can buy it for reptile vivariums to put in the bottom, it is absorbent and is the middle of cob corn ground down, in this situation it is quite cheap. Now if you are a horologist and are buying it to dry off movements after cleaning it cost almost 4 times as much. Unfortunately the reptile type is not quite fine enough for drying clock parts but a friend of mine bought a sackfull of the fine stuff for even less that the terrarium stuff.
    It pays to do your research and can save you a lot of money.
    One more example is 1dip for balance springs, I would love a lab to analyze it and tell me if it is anything other than brake and clutch cleaner, 1 dip cost around £7 for 15ml whereas brake and clutch cleaner cost £15 for 5 Litres! 😯
    Paul.