Home Forums General Discussion Forum How to tell the spouse Reply To: How to tell the spouse

david pierce
Participant

Ddhix,
    Yes, it is the milling headstock. You will probably want to also get the standard headstock as well so you can use the 3 and 4 jaw chucks. There are also milling cutter adapters that screw onto the spindle thread for the standard headstock. You can see this in operation if you pull up Youtube and wade through the gear cutting videos. Type in TAIG LATHE and see what comes up.
    When I bought the Harbor Freight bench mill they offered two models. One used MT #2 collets and the other used R8 collets. The MT #2 mill went for around $200.00 and the R8 mill went for around $500.00 and was a little more heavy duty. I bought the R8 model and it was one of the best choices I ever made. R8 holders and collets are the industry standard (same holders as Bridgeport) and allow you to use standard boreing heads, drill chucks and so on. R8 collets are accurate, inexpensive and available. At some point in the future you may want to purchase a boreing (centering) scope. This will allow you to center the spindle over a layout line or existing hole to .0001 inches. With that and a boreing head you can achieve extremely accurate hole locations.
    The features I like about the TAIG are the wide steel bed, accurate spindle, large induction motor, strong industrial V-belt, and overall strength and rigidity. All of this and it is affordable.
    david