Home Forums General Discussion Forum How to tell the spouse Reply To: How to tell the spouse

mahlon
Participant

I am pleased to here all the stories that this post has generated. I, like David was forced to change careers, because of health problems. I started out in construction (homes as well as commercial buildings. By the time I was 25 I had broken my back. had 25 surguries on my knees,and various other broken bones. Rather than quit construction, I became a cabinet maker, as well as restoring antiques as a hobby. By the time I was 35, I had broken my back 3 more times, and was forced to retire. That didn’t work for me, so I began buying, restoring, and selling antiques. Thats when I bought my first clock. It is a trade mark clock. i restored the case, and then did what any self respecting carpenter would do. I soaked the movement down with WD40, started it up, and it has been running for over 20 years now. I have made it my mission in life to clean and restore the movement, before I croke.After watching Bob’s clock videos, I am pretty sure the springs are set, and it needs a few bushings. It keeps pretty good time for the first 3 days,but falls behind my Gustoffe Becker. As far as tools go, I have been picking up a few here and thers off e-bay. Between the little box of tools and the books I have probably spent $400.00. I am looking at a lathe right now, and my wife is looking at me. Having worked on antiques all these years I am leaning towards a Peerless. I still use hand planes, and shappers in my shop. I am sure Taig is a good lathe, but I try not to buy products from China, thats just my personal preferance. I would like to see Bob, use some of the other tools of this trade ( wheel cutters, pivot tools, ect.) I tend to learn more by watching then reading. By the way what part of the country, or world are all of you from? I am in central Oklahoma.
    Mahlon