Home Forums General Discussion Forum Oil Question Reply To: Oil Question

randy
Participant

David,
    Sorry for the late reply, I’ve been out of town.

I’ve seen many different preferences on this subject, but I’ve had good overall performance from the following oils/ lubricants.

Moebius:
    9010 Small trains ( ladies watches, and on pallet jewels
    9020 Larger train wheels, IE: pocket watches , center wheels
    8141 Winding barrel arbors, lube for mainsprings

I haven’t bought a bottle of 941 yet ( for pallet jewels and quarts movements ) but I’m thinking about it.

Western:
    KT-22, winding parts, stems, threads on watch backs, etc.

I try to keep it simple….

From Otto Frei ( again )..they have a page for Moebius lubes, oiling charts, recommendations, etc

For high-quality wrist watches Moebius recommends the synthetic oil 9010 (SYNT-A-LUBE) for the pallet jewels, escapement wheel and the balance staff. Depending on the size of the caliber Moebius 9020 (SYNTA-VISCO-LUBE) or MICROGLISS D-5 is being used for the center wheel, the gear train and the barrel arbor.

For high-quality clocks such as alarm clocks, pendulum clocks and tower clocks Moebius recommends the synthetic oil 9020 (SYNTA-VISCO-LUBE) for the bearing of the escapement wheel, the teeth of the escapement wheel, the first wheel after the fly, the first and second wheel after the fly. (For the latter D-5 is also possible). For all other lubricating points in clock movements Moebius recommends D-5.

There are many specialized lubricants, so you’ll have to see the application, and make your personal choices.

Best regards,

Randy