Home Forums General Discussion Forum How do you put together pendulum cogs from an automatic? Reply To: How do you put together pendulum cogs from an automatic?

david pierce
Participant

Rozeerox,
    The grinding you are experiencing is called learning how to repair watches and everybody goes through this. The best way to mitigate the pain is to practice on old junk watches. At this stage of the learning experience it does not matter if the practice watches work or even if they are complete. The only improtant thing is that you practice taking them apart, examine them for problems and reassemble them. I have launched numerous springs, screws and anything else that can come out of a watch into low earth orbits; we all have. I have broken more pivots than I can count and turned many hairsprings into Brillo pads. Through practice and only through practice will you learn the repair techniques that work for YOU. Books, videos and courses can teach principals and give you a good theoretical understanding of these mechanisms but practice, making mistakes and breaking things is the only way I know to apply the knowledge to the real world.
    david