Home Forums General Discussion Forum Gears that don’t move? Reply To: Gears that don’t move?

randy
Participant

This is my first post to this forum.
    I bought Bob’s lessons a couple of years ago now, and have been slowly advancing ever since.

I would say that you are on the right track in that you are reading all that you can on the subject, as it will help you to put all of the pieces of watch-breaking together for you.
    It will also help to decipher old terms ( Like Arutha discovered ) into newer materials that have replaced the old mediums.

Now to your problem,
    I would not use oil to hold the train wheels in place. You only want the slightest amount of oil in each jewel cup, and to get enough viscosity “drag” to hold them, you’d have waaaaay more than you want as a final result.
    Charles is right about the Rodico as well,..too great a risk that you would leave some behind.

Awhile back, I found some old tools on EBAY that included a couple of old curved wire tools with ornate brass handles
    I realized after awhile that they were slim enough and curved to reach inside between the movement plates so that you could “nudge” the wheels into place.
    I’ve since seen other versions, some were labeled “pinion setters” or “pinion tools”.
    Screwdrivers can work,.but they can also leave small marks on the shafts if you aren’t careful.
    I start like Charles does,..with the center wheel,..then trying to get the 3rd, fourth and escapement wheel to drop in.
    A lot of this is trial/error. You will develop methods that work for you better than another.
    Watch to make sure that you aren’t relying on special tools too much, unless you need to .
    A good loupe, and good lighting are “key” in this industry.

When all else fails,..Bourbon helps to steady your hands !!!!

Best of luck,..hope some of this helped.

Randy