Home Forums General Discussion Forum Roller jewel and fork Reply To: Roller jewel and fork

Bob Tascione

Hi Chaplin,
    Thanks for checking that. It helps a lot.
    It could be a few things.
    The first thing to check is that the pivots fit into the hole jewels that you replaced. It’s possible that the pivots are too large and that they are just riding in the cups of the jewels rather than fitting through the holes and reaching the cap jewels when needed.

Next thing that could be happening is that the balance cock is bent a little. This can sometimes be difficult to detect while at other times it’s very obvious.

Also the staff that you replaced may just be a little too long. This does happen and the remedy is to grind and polish a tiny bit off of one (or both) of the pivots. This is very fast and easy to do if you have a lathe and balloon chuck or a small Levin type pivot polisher or Jacot lathe. If you don’t have any of these tools yet then you can also do the job with a pin vise. You usually only need to remove a very small amount of material. I think I may have covered this a little in one of the videos. I’ll check to see if I can find it.

Bob