Home Forums General Discussion Forum Help with pivoting going wrong! Reply To: Help with pivoting going wrong!

Bob Tascione

Hi Pkamargo,
    I’ve had luck doing a few different things. The fact that carbide is so brittle may be a benefit here. I don’t know if your broken drill is a spade drill or twist drill. If it’s a spade drill you can sometimes break it into pieces by inserting a piece of steel with a wedge shape filed at the end between what’s left of the drill and the arbor wall and then leverage against it. It’s important not to hit the drill from that backside as this can drive it deeper into arbor. It’s also important not to use a hardened piece of steel as this can also break off causing even more problems. Another thing that has worked for me is to heat the arbor tip up and try wiggling and picking the drill out. Putting some oil in the hole will sometimes help. I’ve had good success with this technique. Another thing that has worked for me is to get the arbor end cherry hot (only the END should be tempered..it’s important to fasten some type of heat sink to the arbor to stop heat from reaching the pinion) so the heat is transferred to the carbide drill and then plunge immediately into cold water. This will often shatter the piece of carbide. It will also harden the arbor end if it’s made of high carbon steel so you will need to temper it afterwards before driving a new pivot into the hole. If you do shatter the broken piece you can then remove the pieces by pressing and pulling a piece of rodico into and out of the hole.
    I think you have a good chance of getting the drill out but…if not then there is another simple fix we can discuss.
    Please let us know if any of these suggestions work for you pkamargo,
    Good luck,
    Bob